Monday, September 14, 2009

children of Abraham

John 8, Galatians 3

By faith in Jesus Christ, our sin-debt of death is paid by Christ, and we receive the Holy Spirit.  By faith in Jesus Christ, we are children of Abraham and children of God.  If you are not a child of Abraham, then you are a child of the world.  And if you are not a child of God, then you are a child of the Devil.

G 3:13Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree"— 14so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith. ... 23Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed. 24So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. 25But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, 26for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith. 27For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to promise.

J 8:31
So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."33They answered him, "We are offspring of Abraham and have never been enslaved to anyone. How is it that you say, 'You will become free'?"  34Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin. 35 The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever. 36So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. 37I know that you are offspring of Abraham; yet you seek to kill me because my word finds no place in you. 38 I speak of what I have seen with my Father, and you do what you have heard from your father." 39They answered him, "Abraham is our father." Jesus said to them, "If you were Abraham's children, you would be doing the works Abraham did, 40but now you seek to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. This is not what Abraham did. 41You are doing the works your father did." They said to him, "We were not born of sexual immorality. We have one Father—even God." 42Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me. 43 Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires.

I am fascinated by the escalation of the religious Jews' claims:  1) we are offspring of Abraham, 2) Abraham is our father, and 3) God is our father.  Tragically, they were mistaken, because faith in Jesus Christ is the only way to be a child of God.

Heavenly Father, thank you for showing me grace through Jesus Christ.  Lord, thank you for loving me and paying the debt that I owed so that I can be free in Christ.  Thank you for making me a son of Abraham and a son of God and giving me your Holy Spirit.  Thank you for baptizing me into Christ and His Church.  Lord, I want to obey you and listen to your word.  I love you, and I want to serve you.  Please draw me closer to you and use me to bring others to you.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment