Thursday, September 10, 2009

escalation

John 4, 2 Corinthians 12

Jesus always escalates the conversation; He did with Nicodemus in John 3, and He did with the Samaritan woman in John 4.  They say something, and He could reply with something nice and confirming, but He always takes it to the next level.  Perhaps I should be more bold in conversations with people. Of course it is going to bring friction, which will be awkward (especially in the U.S.), but I bet the Holy Spirit will lead me through it.

The first part of Jesus's discussion with the Samaritan woman (v. 7-15) was about helping her identify her spiritual emptiness (i.e., thirst for living water).  Then Jesus (rather abruptly) shifted the conversation to sin (v. 16-18).  I think we tend to get it backwards.  We think, "That person is sinning, so they need Jesus to fix their sin."  That is sort of true, but I think it is better to realize that we are all empty apart from Jesus, and sin is the consequence of that emptiness.  As I heard somewhere, "We aren't sinners because we sin.  We sin because we are sinners."

Then the conversation transitioned to worship and Christ (v. 19-26).  Here again is demonstration of the exclusivity of true worship through faith and obedience in Jesus Christ.

So she went to her village and gave everyone a three point outline of the theological points that she learned from Jesus.  No!  She shared her experience with Christ.  And the result:

3:39Many Samaritans from the village believed in Jesus because the woman had said, "He told me everything I ever did!" 40When they came out to see him, they begged him to stay in their village. So he stayed for two days, 41long enough for many more to hear his message and believe. 42Then they said to the woman, "Now we believe, not just because of what you told us, but because we have heard him ourselves. Now we know that he is indeed the Savior of the world."

Other people believed in Jesus simply because she told them her experience with Christ.  There's a novel idea!  Hmmm... I wonder what would happen if we simply shared with people around us what Jesus has done in our lives.  Maybe that is scary for some people because they realize that they've been so caught up in the world and playing the church-game that they don't have any experience with Jesus.

As a farmboy, I love the analogy that Jesus gives for a person sharing the Gospel:

3:36 ... But I say, wake up and look around. The fields are already ripe for harvest. 36 The harvesters are paid good wages, and the fruit they harvest is people brought to eternal life. What joy awaits both the planter and the harvester alike! 37 You know the saying, 'One plants and another harvests.' And it's true. 38 I sent you to harvest where you didn't plant; others had already done the work, and now you will get to gather the harvest."

Heavenly Father, please help me wake up and join you in the Harvest.  There are so many empty souls around me that need to be connected with Jesus.  Lord, help me see the reality of how I have been saved from Hell and saved for your Glory, so that I will be authentic and genuine in sharing what Jesus has done in my life.  Lord, help me sensitive to the Holy Spirit to be bold in conversation about Christ.  I love you, Lord.  You have been so kind to me.  Please help me worship you in spirit and in truth.  I pray in the name of Jesus, the Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment