Wednesday, September 9, 2009

persecution

John 3, 2 Corinthians 11

Note:  One of the Brothers that I meet with regularly has suggested that John 3:5 shows the necessity of baptism.  However, in studying the context, it seems to me like there is a parallelism in the preceding and following verses:  the first birth is in the flesh (or "water") and the second birth is in the spirit.

In our Bible Life Group on Sunday mornings, we have been studying the book of Acts, and several of the recent lessons have been about the persecution of the Church.  First of all, I think we in the U.S. generally don't have a clue about persecution.  Even after reading Tortured for Christ by Richard Wurmbrand, I still only appreciated it empathetically.  Perhaps one of the ways we can "suffer" in the U.S. is by giving sacrificially with our finances to support the global Church.  I recently have been drawn to support these two ministries because of their strategic operation in fronteir nations:

 - Voice of the Martyrs: Pastor Support Program  (http://www.persecution.com/psp)
 - Voice of the Martyrs: Bibles Unbound (http://www.biblesunbound.com/qry/mc_home.taf)

When I think about what Paul and other Saints have given for the Gospel, I am reminded that Grace is Costly:

11:23 Are they servants of Christ? I know I sound like a madman, but I have served him far more! I have worked harder, been put in prison more often, been whipped times without number, and faced death again and again. 24 Five different times the Jewish leaders gave me thirty-nine lashes. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea. 26 I have traveled on many long journeys. I have faced danger from rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the seas. And I have faced danger from men who claim to be believers but are not. 27 I have worked hard and long, enduring many sleepless nights. I have been hungry and thirsty and have often gone without food. I have shivered in the cold, without enough clothing to keep me warm.

 28 Then, besides all this, I have the daily burden of my concern for all the churches. 29 Who is weak without my feeling that weakness? Who is led astray, and I do not burn with anger?

Heavenly Father, thank you for paying the Cost of Redemption with Christ on the Cross.  Lord, may I live in response to this incredible payment.  Lord, it's not like I want to suffer for the sake of suffering, but if suffering is what it takes to gain Christ and be found in Him, then lead me by your grace through it.  Father, please show me the work you have for me.  Lord, please help me be faithful and obedient.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Shane,

    Thanks for continuing to meditate on Scripture and writing about that. I see how the Lord is growing you in the very thing that Paul prayed for on behalf of the Colossians, namely "..that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will with all spiritual wisdom and understanding so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord.."

    -Nick
    As far as John 3:5 is concerned, i think you should consider the phrase as echoing back to a great new covenant passage Ezekial 36, specifically verses 25-27. There the concept of purity/cleanliness is set right next to the giving of a new heart and the receiving of the Spirit.

    ReplyDelete