Thursday, September 2, 2010

Purpose and process

Psalm 137-139

The Lord has His purposes for me.  I may not know what they are, but I can be confident that "He who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

 137:8 The Lord will work out his plans for my life—
      for your faithful love, O Lord, endures forever.
      Don't abandon me, for you made me.

139:13 You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
      and knit me together in my mother's womb.
 14 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
      Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.
 15 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
      as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.
 16 You saw me before I was born.
      Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
   Every moment was laid out
      before a single day had passed. 17 How precious are your thoughts about me,[c] O God.
      They cannot be numbered!

And if the Lord is going to take me from where I am to where He wants me to be, then I must participate in His purification process:

 139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
      test me and know my anxious thoughts.
 24 Point out anything in me that offends you,
      and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

I used to think that all of the heinous sins offended God.  Well, of course, they do!  But I am beginning to realize that anything that steals my attention and time from the Lord offends Him, because it is an idol.  Even my desire to do a good job at work is an idol if I am more focused on that than on loving and worshipping Him.

Heavenly Father, I trust you with my life.  I trust that you have designed me with a specific purpose and vision in mind, and I want to follow you and walk with you along this path that you have given me.  Lord, please draw me into you.  Please forgive me of lust, pride, and worry, and show me all of the things in my life that distract me from knowing and loving you.  I love you, and I want to love you more.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment