Tuesday, March 22, 2011

fearless and faithful

Mark 13:1-20

Jesus said that wars, earthquakes, and famines will characterize the beginning birthpains of the end of the world.  Perhaps I am especially gullible after the 9.0 in Japan a few weeks ago, but it seems to me like a lot of the stuff happening around the world matches up with Jesus's predictions.  And it seems like it is escalating - like birthpains. 

I don't know if the following verses apply only to the disciples in the early days of the Church, during the persecution of Saul, or if perhaps they might also apply to us in the days ahead:

9 "When these things begin to happen, watch out! You will be handed over to the local councils and beaten in the synagogues. You will stand trial before governors and kings because you are my followers. But this will be your opportunity to tell them about me. 10 For the Good News must first be preached to all nations. 11 But when you are arrested and stand trial, don't worry in advance about what to say. Just say what God tells you at that time, for it is not you who will be speaking, but the Holy Spirit.

Considering that many of our Brothers and Sisters around the world are suffering heavy persecution because of their allegiance to Jesus Christ, I think these verses might apply to us today and in the days ahead.  My prayer is that we will be fearless and faithful to Christ in the face of persecution.  You might think that such conditions would not be possible in the good ol' US of A, but this country has become so fickle and spiritually hollow.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word.  Lord Jesus, I need you, and I want to walk with you.  Holy Spirit, I want to be conscious of your movement today, and I want to keep in step with you.  Lord, please shine your light through me, and may I be a salty witness for Jesus Christ today and every day.  I love you, Lord.  May you be blessed today.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment