Tuesday, January 17, 2012

outsiders and insiders

Matthew 9:1-17

I have to confess.  For some reason, I feel pretty scandalous reading the Message translation.  I feel like I'm not a "real" Christian unless I read the NASB or ESV.  I guess I even feel a little inferior reading the NLT.  I just love how religion does that to you (sarcastically).

 10-11Later when Jesus was eating supper at Matthew's house with his close followers, a lot of disreputable characters came and joined them. When the Pharisees saw him keeping this kind of company, they had a fit, and lit into Jesus' followers. "What kind of example is this from your Teacher, acting cozy with crooks and riffraff?"

 12-13Jesus, overhearing, shot back, "Who needs a doctor: the healthy or the sick? Go figure out what this Scripture means: 'I'm after mercy, not religion.' I'm here to invite outsiders, not coddle insiders."

Inviting outsiders versus coddling insiders.  When I first read this, I thought it seems like a tough balance to know how much time and resources to invest in inviting outsiders versus training insiders.  I thought the emphasis was on training versus coddling.  But I just realized, there is no such thing as "insiders" with God.  We are all outsiders. 

I realize that by faith in Jesus Christ, God has changed us from enemies to friends, from sons of the devil to sons of God. But if we realize that we are no better than anyone else, that we are all saved by grace, then we might realize that we are all outsiders.  In a way, training and discipling people to follow Jesus is simply inviting them to take another step forward, deeper into their experience of God's love.

Heavenly Father, please never let me think I am an "insider" like the Pharisees did.  They felt entitled.  I hope I always feel grateful and thankful for your mercy and grace.  And I hope I communicate that humble gratitude in a way that leads others to consider following and walking with Jesus.  God, please help me identify with people who don't yet know you so that I will be considerate of how you might use me to share how much you love us all.  I love you, and I want to walk with you.  Please help me loose my religion.  I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment