Monday, January 30, 2012

fatherhood

Matthew 15:21-39

Yesterday was a special day.  My parents were able to join us for a baby dedication service at Paseo where we committed to raise Jude to love God and walk with Him.  Greg gave a challenge from Deuteronomy 6:

 4 "Listen, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD alone. 5 And you must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength. 6 And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. 7 Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. 8 Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. 9 Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

Last night, we watched the movie "Courageous" (http://www.courageousthemovie.com/), which follows the lives of several police officers and their challenges to be good husbands and fathers.  It was very encouraging and challenging for me to be more intentional as a father.  I don't want to just get by as an average dad; I want to follow the Biblical expectations of fatherhood and communicate the character of God the Father to my family.  Of course, I can't actually do that; I need God's grace to give me courage and faith to obey His calling.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your grace and mercy.  Lord, you know that I have not been the best father that I could be; please forgive me and help me do better.  I love you, Lord.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment