Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas

I distinctly remember feeling deceived when I found out that Santa Claus is not real.  And then when I was included in the trip to the store to purchase candy for stuffing the stockings, I felt like I was facilitating the deception.

But more deeply, I have come to believe that, while Christmas is not actually a Biblical holiday, it is an opportunity (even widely recognized by secular culture at large) to focus on Jesus and his birth.  Unfortunately, as with much of our consumerism and materialistic society, I think attention to Santa Claus is a significant distraction from the opportunity to highlight Jesus.

Brandi did some background research on Santa Claus, Saint Nicholas, etc, to see if we could incorporate him as a historical figure without actually suggesting that he is alive or real today, but we didn't feel like we could incorporate Santa or St. Nik in good conscience.  Furthermore, it bothers me that Santa is attributed authority for moral evaluation (e.g., "naughty and nice") with incentives (e.g., gifts) and dissentives (e.g., coal/switches); I think that could undermine or confuse the true authority of the righteous judgement of Jesus Christ.

So, we had a birthday party for Jesus on Christmas morning this year, with cake and balloons, and a special present for each of our boys, in honor of Jesus and the gifts that he received on his birthday. We read the story of Jesus's birth in Luke 2, and we emphasized that we were giving gifts in honor of the fact that Jesus is the greatest gift ever given.

Brandi and I wondered if our boys would be envious of other children receiving gifts from Santa, especially anticipating the likely question, "What did you get from Santa?"  I overheard one of their cousins ask that yesterday, and Beau simply replied matter of factly, "I didn't get anything from Santa." 

To be honest, it made me sad when I heard him say that.  But then I realized that the reason I was sad was because our culture is materialistic (focused on receiving gifts, not giving) and secular (focused on Santa, not Jesus).  Why isn't the post-Christmas question, "What did you GIVE for Christmas?"

And I know that "belief" in Santa is pervasive, but he simply isn't real.

So in a couple of years, when other kids are having their Santa bubbles busted, I trust that the potential negative impact on my boys will have been avoided, or at least mitigated. 

I realize that my perspective on this matter is not mainstream, but at the end of this life, I will be judged by Christ, no one else.  And I believe that Brandi and I have made the choice to emphasize Christ (and mute Santa) at Christmas, in light of that final day. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for the gift of Jesus Christ.  And thank you for the gift of children.  May we be careful in how and what we teach our children, and may we be faithful to raise them to fear and love you.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment