Monday, December 2, 2013

elders: overseers and shepherds

Acts 20:17 From Miletus he sent to Ephesus and called to him the elders of the church. 18 And when they had come to him, he said to them, ... 28 Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.

Paul tells the elders (πρεσβυτέρους) that they are overseers (ἐπισκόπους) and instructs them to shepherd (ποιμαίνειν) the church (ἐκκλησίαν).

What do overseers do?  What do shepherds do?  Guide, QA/QC, care for, protect, feed, rescue, bandage, ...

Heavenly Father, please help me mature to be an elder/overseer/shepherd.  Lord, I want to serve the local church.  I want to be useful.  Lord, please make me useful.  Please give me wisdom and discernment.  I love you, and I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment