Tuesday, December 24, 2013

sabbatical conclusions

I am so thankful for the opportunity to take a sabbatical in Boston this semester.  I feel like I grew so much in many ways.  The opportunity to step out of my "normal" environment and routine, to self-reflect, to collaborate with great people at a great institution, to be validated as a legitimate professional, to connect with a thriving local church, to take my family to explore a different landscape than what I have grown up with, to see key historic places in the establishment of our nation - all of this made it an absolutely incredible experience.  I think the Lord used all of this to grow me significantly.

On the two and a half day trip from Boston back to Texas, I listened to a book:  Good to Great, by Jim Collins.  It was very impactful, and complementary to my experience in Boston.  The basic theme is that disciplined people invest in disciplined thought and take strategic, disciplined action.  A central analogy in the book is the idea of consistently pushing on a giant flywheel, daily investing in adding momentum.  The added momentum from each push may not even be noticeable, seemingly insignificant.  But over the course of years, the cumulative effects of all of those daily investments results in significant velocity and momentum.

I think this is really consistent with why I titled this blog "conservation of momentum" seven years ago. (Interesting, seven years. I hadn't noticed that before now.  A true sabbatical.)  It is ironic that the number of my blog posts per year has monotonically decreased since I started at the beginning of 2007.  Friction.  And distraction.  Lack of discipline.  But I expect 2013 to be a point of inflection.

I am encouraged, now, to see the importance and value of those daily investments.  Any given day might be thought of as insignificant, but therein lies the danger - the thought that what I do today doesn't matter.  Disciplined people see that every day can be significant, and they make it count.  Everyday sacredness.  I want to be a disciplined person.

2 Pet 3:18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

Heavenly Father, please help me consistently seek you every day.  Lord, please help me be disciplined in growing in your grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ.  May my life be useful for advancing your Kingdom.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment