Friday, December 13, 2013

Humility

James 4:6-7 NLT

But he gives us even more grace to stand against such evil desires. As the Scriptures say, "God opposes the proud but favors the humble." So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Sometimes the Lord aids us in that humility process.

This afternoon, I left for the airport in plenty of time, accounting for traffic and checking my bag.  After my car GPS took me through a hundred stoplights downtown, and i kept praying for God to help me get to the airport on time, I saw a sign for the freeway and jumped on it, not noticing that I was going the WRONG DIRECTION - away from the airport.  Since it was a turnpike, it was a couple of miles to the first U-turn, but I misunderstood the exit sign and went another several miles in the WRONG DIRECTION.  By this point, I was extremely frustrated, but I kept praying, and Brandi was praying for me.  So, I got turned around, headed toward the airport, for sure this time, and hurried on my way.  Parked the car, sprinted to the terminal, and remembered that I had my pocketknife that Brandi and the boys had given me for Father's day.  So I sprinted back to the car to leave my pocketknife, and then tried to sprint back to the terminal.  Huffing and sniffling in line for security, I heard the final boarding call for my flight.  So, I realized I had a decision to make: I could stand in line and probably miss my flight, or I could humble myself and ask people if I could cut ahead.  I hate cutting, and even more so, I hate having to ask to cut.  So embarrassing!  But, I humbled myself and asked, cut in line, made it through screening, and sprinted to my gate to catch them just before they closed the door.  Thank the Lord!

I don't think this is what James had in mind when he penned this passage, but I sure felt like the Lord was teaching me humility today.  So I think it has to relate somehow.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your patience with me.  I sure hope I can figure out how to voluntarily humble myself so you don't have to run me through too many ringers to keep me humble.  I love you, Lord, and I want to be humble.  Jesus, you were humble, and I want to show your character.  I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment