Saturday, December 28, 2013

God shows grace, even in judgement

Revelation 6-10

The judgement that is revealed through breaking seals and blowing trumpets appears in discrete stages, ascending in intensity.  God shows patience and gives unbelieving people multiple chances to trust Him, repent, and obey.  He shows grace, even in judgement.  He is kind, and He desires that none should perish. 

I believe that this aspect of God's character is also demonstrated in his relationship to his children, us who believe. He does not judge us, because Christ has already suffered God's wrath for the judgement that we deserved, but He disciplines us because He loves us.  He is patient with us in discipline; He gives us multiple chances to trust Him, repent, and obey, before He increases the intensity of the discipline.  

Matt. 12:20 (Isa. 42:3)
A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out

God has been very patient with me through the years.  He has patiently and gently dealt with sin in my life.  In some cases, I have been stubborn, and so He increased the intensity of the discipline.  At one point, I almost lost my marriage, but in that moment, I humbled myself before Him, repented, and resumed walking with Him in obedience, and He showed much grace by restoring my marriage.  I am so impressed with the grace that He gave Brandi to forgive me and give me another chance.  As I play and wrestle with my sons this Christmas season, I am so thankful for the kindness and grace that God has given me.

And in the past several years, I realize that I have focused too much on my work.  I think the Lord let me experience some consequences of fear and burnout.  He has been patient with me, but He has corrected me and helped me refocus on my relationship with Him, my relationship with Brandi and the boys, and my function within the Body of Christ.  

Joel 2:13     ...
Return to the Lord your God,
    for he is gracious and merciful,
slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love;
    and he relents over disaster.
...
25 I will restore to you the years
    that the swarming locust has eaten, ...
26 "You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied,
    and praise the name of the LORD your God,
    who has dealt wondrously with you.
And my people shall never again be put to shame.
27 You shall know that I am in the midst of Israel,
    and that I am the LORD your God and there is none else.
And my people shall never again be put to shame.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your mercy and faithfulness.  Thank you for the grace and kindness that you have shown through Christ.  Thank you for salvation, and thank you for daily discipline, forgiveness, and restoration.  I love you, Lord, and I want to seek you and obey you.  I want to walk with you and know you.  May others see you in the midst of my life, and may they know that you are the one true God.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment