Thursday, January 17, 2008

Big Finale

 
similar thoughts as yesterday
 
Again, God spoke to Job from the storm/whirlwind.  This reaffirms the distinction between Job's experience and Elijah's experience.  Elijah received encouragement; Job received a rebuke.
40:1 Then the Lord said to Job, 
2 "Do you still want to argue with the Almighty?
      You are God's critic, but do you have the answers?"  
3 Then Job replied to the Lord
4 "I am nothing—how could I ever find the answers?
      I will cover my mouth with my hand.
Job illustrates that our natural response to being in the presence of the LORD is awareness of our depravity and humble recognition of His holiness.  When we are away from God, we are egotistical and proud.
 
In the LORD's final discourse with Job (i.e., the "big finale"), He discusses two principles - His justice and His creative work.  Of all the things God could have said to Job, these are two powerful identities:  1) He is Holy and Just, and 2) He is the Creator.
 
Another observation this morning is that God also rebukes three of Job's knuckleheaded friends, but He does not rebuke Elihu (the youngest that waited to speak).  This suggests to me that Elihu was on the right track, a type of prophet, if you will.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I praise you for being Holy, Just, and Creator.  As Job said, I echo:  You are so amazing that there is no way I can even approach understanding you.  Even a glimpse of you would wipe me out.  But Lord, I pray that I may dwell in your presence, because I know that it is when I am close to you that I experience reality.  It is when I draw near to you that I recognize my sinful nature and inability to do anything good.  Lord, I want to be close to you so that I will not be proud and self-centered.  I want to be close to you so that I can hear your voice, know your mind, and experience the joy of life with you.  Lord, I want to be close to you, and your Word says that if I draw close to you, that you will draw close to me.  Lord Jesus, I beg you to reveal yourself to me and keep me close to you.  Please humble me in your presence; I want to be your faithful and obedient servant.  I ask you, in the name of the Holy One, the Righteous Son, the Creator of all, Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment