Friday, February 19, 2010

fear of the Lord

Leviticus 25-26

Our fear of the Lord should govern our behavior:
25:17 Show your fear of God by not taking advantage of each other. I am the Lord your God. ... 36 Do not charge interest or make a profit at his expense. Instead, show your fear of God by letting him live with you as your relative. ... 43 Show your fear of God by not treating them harshly.
I am still wrestling with the New Covenant interpretation and application of this passage:

26:3 "If you follow my decrees and are careful to obey my commands, 4 I will send you the seasonal rains. The land will then yield its crops, and the trees of the field will produce their fruit. 5 Your threshing season will overlap with the grape harvest, and your grape harvest will overlap with the season of planting grain. You will eat your fill and live securely in your own land.

 6 "I will give you peace in the land, and you will be able to sleep with no cause for fear. I will rid the land of wild animals and keep your enemies out of your land. 7 In fact, you will chase down your enemies and slaughter them with your swords. 8 Five of you will chase a hundred, and a hundred of you will chase ten thousand! All your enemies will fall beneath your sword.

 9 "I will look favorably upon you, making you fertile and multiplying your people. And I will fulfill my covenant with you. 10 You will have such a surplus of crops that you will need to clear out the old grain to make room for the new harvest! 11 I will live among you, and I will not despise you. 12 I will walk among you; I will be your God, and you will be my people. 13 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt so you would no longer be their slaves. I broke the yoke of slavery from your neck so you can walk with your heads held high.


Heavenly Father, please teach me to fear you.  You are awesome and holy, and I don't fear you like I should.  Lord Jesus, please turn my heart toward you.  Holy Spirit, please convict me of sin and guide me in truth.  Lord God, please take me into the good land.  I pray that you will produce your fruit in me, and that I will be a warrior against evil.  I pray in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment