Monday, February 15, 2010

Sacrifice 101

Leviticus 17-18, Matthew 27

God explained the fundamental principle of sacrifice:

Lev 17:11 for the life of an animal is in the blood. I have provided the blood for you to make atonement for your lives on the Altar; it is the blood, the life, that makes atonement.

Indeed, He provided His own Son, Jesus, as the spotless Sacrifice to take away the sins of the world:

Matt 27:45-46 From noon to three, the whole earth was dark. Around mid-afternoon Jesus groaned out of the depths, crying loudly, "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" which means, "My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?" ... 50But Jesus, again crying out loudly, breathed his last. 51-53At that moment, the Temple curtain was ripped in two, top to bottom. There was an earthquake, and rocks were split in pieces. What's more, tombs were opened up, and many bodies of believers asleep in their graves were raised. (After Jesus' resurrection, they left the tombs, entered the holy city, and appeared to many.) 54The captain of the guard and those with him, when they saw the earthquake and everything else that was happening, were scared to death. They said, "This has to be the Son of God!"

Heavenly Father, thank you for the sacrifice of Christ, which makes atonement for my life.  His life was spent for mine; I pray that my life will be spent for His.  You have redeemed me by the blood of the Lamb; you have purchased my freedom; and you have credited righteousness to me because of Christ.  I praise you and thank you for your glorious work.  May your name be praised among the nations.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment