Friday, February 26, 2010

distractions: focusing on the wrong things

Numbers 11-14, Mark 5

First distraction: focusing on the meat they used to eat in Egypt instead of the daily supply of manna from the Lord.  The crazy thing is, the manna actually tasted pretty good.  You have to guard yourself against remembering the "tasty" things of this evil world, and you have to intentionally remember how good the Lord is.  I think the Lord's Supper is a practical application of this.

Second distraction: focusing on the size of the Giants in the Promise Land instead of the size of the Lord who Promised the Land.  When you hold a bottle cap close to your face, it can appear bigger than the moon.  But of course, it is because the moon is so far away.  We need to daily draw near to God so that we can see how big He is!

As I consider the intimidating task of graduating and getting a job, the Lord encouraged me this morning with the parallel of walking with Him daily in the wilderness, and He will defeat the Giants in the land.

11:23 Then the Lord said to Moses, "Has my arm lost its power? Now you will see whether or not my word comes true!"
14:8 And if the Lord is pleased with us, he will bring us safely into that land and give it to us. It is a rich land flowing with milk and honey. ... 17 "Please, Lord, prove that your power is as great as you have claimed. For you said, 18 'The Lord is slow to anger and filled with unfailing love, forgiving every kind of sin and rebellion. ...

Heavenly Father, you are so kind and gracious to me.  You have brought me out of Egypt, and you have sustained me with Manna.  I pray that I will enjoy Christ more every day, and that I will see how great and powerful you are!  You are mighty to save, and you will bring me ultimately into your presence!  May I obey you and serve you in love today.  I praise you and bless you.  You are my God and King.  I love you, and I pray in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! We are so bad about limiting God to our perspective.

    ReplyDelete