Thursday, February 4, 2010

holiness, love, and merciful presence

Exodus 34-35

I have heard it reiterated several times over the past two weeks that the principle attribute of God is His holiness.  He is complete and perfect in and of Himself, He needs nothing, and His character is fully good.  He is set apart, His identity as Creator is fundamentally distinct from His creation, and He has integrity among His character, words, and actions.  We summarize these truths by saying that He is Holy.

I am reading "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan, and the Lord is using it to remind me that I need to be focused on loving Him.  Everything that I do should be motivated out of my love for Him.  I pray that everything that I do will be an expression of love for the Lord.

 Ex 34:5 Then the Lord came down in a cloud and stood there with him; and he called out his own name, Yahweh. 6 The Lord passed in front of Moses, calling out,

   "Yahweh! The Lord!
      The God of compassion and mercy!
   I am slow to anger
      and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness.
 7 I lavish unfailing love to a thousand generations.
      I forgive iniquity, rebellion, and sin. ...


I want to want to be in His holy presence.  I want to know Him so that I can love Him more deeply.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the mercy and grace that you have already shown me.  Lord, please cleanse me so that I can come into your presence and be changed.  Lord Jesus, I want to abide in you.  Holy Spirit, please empower me to be a witness of Christ today.  May your name be praised among the nations.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment