Wednesday, February 17, 2010

priestly identity

Leviticus 21-22

21:6 [The priests] must be set apart as holy to their God and must never bring shame on the name of God. They must be holy, for they are the ones who present the special gifts to the Lord, gifts of food for their God. ... 8 You must treat them as holy because they offer up food to your God. You must consider them holy because I, the Lord, am holy, and I make you holy.

22:31 "You must faithfully keep all my commands by putting them into practice, for I am the Lord. 32 Do not bring shame on my holy name, for I will display my holiness among the people of Israel. I am the Lord who makes you holy. 33 It was I who rescued you from the land of Egypt, that I might be your God. I am the Lord."

I think it is helpful to think about Matt. 28:19-20 and Acts 1:8 in the context of our priestly identity.  We should act holy because God is holy, and we should consider ourselves holy because God is holy.  We should obey Him because He is Yahweh, the God who has rescued and redeemed us from sin and death!

Heavenly Father, I praise you because you are Yahweh!  Thank you for saving me and making me a priest.  I pray that I will serve you honorably so that others might know your kindness and praise you.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ, the High Priest.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment