Monday, August 30, 2010

maturity

Psalm 129-131

 130:5 I am counting on the Lord;
      yes, I am counting on him.
      I have put my hope in his word.
 6 I long for the Lord
      more than sentries long for the dawn,
      yes, more than sentries long for the dawn.

 131:2 Instead, I have calmed and quieted myself,
      like a weaned child who no longer cries for its mother's milk.
      Yes, like a weaned child is my soul within me.

There are two aspects of spiritual maturity here that I see that I need.  First, I need to desire to know God.  It seems pretty simple, but I want to consistently (moment by moment) desire to know Him.  Not just do a bunch of religious stuff.

Second, I need to set my mind on the Spirit and take control of my emotions.  I need to know the promises of the Lord and His character so that I will not be a spiritual baby anymore.  I think that a deep, abiding joy will begin to flow out of me as I faithfully stay my mind and emotions on the Lord's goodness.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your kindness and love towards me.  I want to desire you more than the sentries long for the dawn.  Please help me focus on you and knowing you so that my mind and emotions will be stable.  Please use me to lead others to know your love and kindness.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment