Tuesday, January 11, 2011

purity of heart: pride

Matthew 6

3 But when you give to someone in need, don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. 4 Give your gifts in private, and your Father, who sees everything, will reward you. ...
6 But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you. ...
14 "If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. 15 But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins. ...
17 But when you fast, comb your hair and wash your face. 18 Then no one will notice that you are fasting, except your Father, who knows what you do in private. And your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.

Why do I care so much about what people think?  When we were singing praises at our church gathering on Sunday morning, I was really enjoying singing with Brandi since it was the first time that Beau wasn't acting so crazy in the nursery that we felt like we should take care of Him.  Then Pastor Greg walked up and stood by us.  Then my mind was hijacked by my pride as I thought, "I wonder if Greg can hear me singing.  I wonder if he thinks I am a good singer.  Maybe he will suggest that I join the praise team."  So much for worshiping God; I was only worshiping myself, and I'm not even that good of a singer.  How pathetic - to waste time being narcissistic when I could have been worshiping the Almighty God who deserves all praise.  Man, I wish I could kill that pride.

Heavenly Father, I am sorry that I am so self-centered.  Please forgive me and purify my heart from the pride of flesh.  Lord, please set my mind on the Spirit.  I need to know you, to hear you, and to obey you.  Lord, please use me to honor you instead of myself.  I love you, Lord.  I need Jesus, and it is in His name that I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment