Wednesday, January 5, 2011

beatitudes, salt and light

Matthew 5
  • poor in spirit
  • mournful
  • humble
  • hungry and thirsty for righteousness
  • merciful
  • pure hearted
  • peaceful
  • persecuted for righteousness
  • mocked and persecuted for following Christ
These are the ones who will see God, know Him, know His will for their lives, and do His will.  I also think this list of attributes describes Jesus, who I am following.

I taught several lessons through "Becoming a Contagious Christian" several months ago, and the attributes of salt and light that we focused on were:
  • Salt: close proximity and high potency
  • Light: clear communication of reality/truth
I think this passage matches well with James's statement that faith without works is dead.  If you are a disciple of Christ, then you are salt and light.  If you are salt and light, then you will necessarily impact your sphere of influence.

Heavenly Father, please help me be focused on you and your character.  Lord, please continue to grow your character in me so that I look more and more like Jesus.  I know that you are doing this anyway, but I want you to know that I want it.  Lord Jesus, I am following you, and I know that this means that I will be in conflict with the world and the enemy.  But I know that you have already overcome the world!  Holy Spirit, please speak to me and through me today.  Jesus, you are my King!  Father, I pray in His name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment