Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Words of Christ

Matthew 4

4 But Jesus told him, "No! The Scriptures say,

   'People do not live by bread alone,
      but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

7 Jesus responded, "The Scriptures also say, 'You must not test the Lord your God.'"

10 "Get out of here, Satan," Jesus told him. "For the Scriptures say,

   'You must worship the Lord your God
      and serve only him.'"

I have often overlooked the, "Get out of here, Satan." statement in Jesus's third response to the Devil's temptation, but now that seems important.  My goal today is to meditate on these three statements of Christ.  Also, I am impressed with the fact that the message of John the Baptist was the same as the message of Jesus:

17 From then on Jesus began to preach, "Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near."

It seems to me that the message we preach as disciples of Christ is the same in preparation for His Second Coming as it was for His First Coming.  I need to be more faithful in preaching this simple message and sharing my experience of the Lord.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your Son Jesus.  Lord, thank you for your life-giving words.  I need you, Lord - more than I know.  Please rescue me from my selfish pride, and give me strength to humbly follow you.  Holy Spirit, please speak to me, and may I be quick to obey.  I love you, Lord, and I ask in the name of Christ Jesus.  amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment