Thursday, January 27, 2011

compassion

Matthew 14:1-21
14 Jesus saw the huge crowd as he stepped from the boat, and he had compassion on them and healed their sick.
Later that day, he fed all 5000 men plus women and children.
 
If our King has compassion for people, then it seems like we should be compassionate.  And if Christ's compassion moved Him to action, then perhaps our "compassion" isn't compassion until we've done something about it.
 
But how do you know when to stop?  How do you know when you've done enough?  I could spend all of the money that I earn trying to help the homeless people in El Paso, and my family would be homeless before I even helped half of them.  I could spend all of my winter and summer breaks traveling around the world trying to help people get clean water, but what about the people living in the Colonias just outside of El Paso?
 
Heavenly Father, thank you for your compassion on us to send Jesus to rescue us.  Jesus, thank you for your compassion for us to give your life as a ransome for ours.  Holy Spirit, thank you for your compassion for us to comfort us and intercede for us with the Father.  Heavenly Father, I want to do your will.  Lord Jesus, I want to show your compassion to others.  Holy Spirit, please let me hear your voice to know what I am supposed to do when I see injustice and how far I should go to try to fix it.  Lord, please make me an agent of grace.  I love you, Lord, and I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment