Thursday, February 3, 2011

correction and provision

Matthew 17:14-27

After seeing Jesus baptized and hearing the voice of the Father say that Jesus is His Son, and promptly after seeing Jesus transfigured and hearing the voice of the Father say that Jesus is His Son, Peter was tested:

24 When they came to Capernaum, the collectors of the two-drachma tax went up to Peter and said, "Does your teacher not pay the tax?" 25He said, "Yes." And when he came into the house, Jesus spoke to him first, saying,  "What do you think, Simon? From whom do kings of the earth take toll or tax? From their sons or from others?" 26And when he said, "From others," Jesus said to him, "Then the sons are free.

Peter should have known that the Sons of the King don't pay the tax, but if he had any doubt, he should have deferred the question to Jesus instead of answering ignorantly.  How many times do we get asked a request to do something or a question about God and we simply answer off the top of our heads instead of asking the Lord first?  I wonder what our lives would look like if we made a habit of responding to questions/request, "Let me think about it and pray about it, and I will get back to you."  And what if we were so connected to the Father through prayer and in tune with the Holy Spirit that we were constantly discussing things with the Lord all day long?  I wish I lived that way.

Even though Peter spoke out of turn (and answered incorrectly), Jesus cares about our integrity, and He provides for us even in our ignorance:

27However, not to give offense to them, go to the sea and cast a hook and take the first fish that comes up, and when you open its mouth you will find a shekel. Take that and give it to them for me and for yourself."

Heavenly Father, thank you for your grace and mercy through Jesus Christ.  Jesus, thank you for paying the penalty of death for my sin, and thank you for your patient and enduring love.  Thank you for continuing to pick me up and lead me along this path with you even though I stumble and fall and get sidetracked so easily.  Lord, I want to honor you by letting you answer for me.  I want to know the Father's will and keep in step with the Holy Spirit so that you will be honored as the True King.  Thank you for your love, and thank you for the opportunity to know you and experience your live in me.  May I be a conduit and a catalyst for others to experience your grace and life.  I love you, Lord, and I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment