Wednesday, February 23, 2011

crucifixion: juxtaposition

Matthew 27:32-66
 
As I read the account of the people mocking Jesus as He was crucified, I think the insult that stung the worst was this one:
42 "He saved others; he cannot save himself. He is the King of Israel; let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. 43 He trusts in God; let God deliver him now, if he desires him. For he said, 'I am the Son of God.'"
Sometimes I just wish He had climbed down off that cross, punched those punks in the face, and then climbed back up on the cross.  But that wouldn't be very Jesus-like, would it.  And like Shaie Linn says, "You miss the point if you don't see your face in the crowd."  But Jesus denied His natural desire to be vindicated in that moment.  He trusted in God, but the Father's will was for Christ to die, not to miraculously jump off the cross.  Yes, He is the Son of God, but His mission here on earth was as the Son of Man.  He will no doubt return in full glory as the Son of Man and Son of God, and everyone will see clearly then.  I wonder if it was that taunt in v. 43 that prompted Jesus to ask in v. 46,
"My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?"
I can't help but think about 2 Cor. 5:21:
21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
At first glance, this seems to me like God came out on the short end of the deal.  Jesus lived a perfect life, so why did He have to get dirty?  And I sure don't feel like "the righteousness of God."
 
Heavenly Father, thank you for your mercy and grace through the Cross of Christ.  Lord Jesus, thank you for your incredible commitment to the Father's will, in spite of mockery and physical pain.  Holy Spirit, please use me as a witness of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, and may I experience His life, death, and resurrection in my own life.  I love you, Lord.  Thank you for your crazy love which would prompt you to do something so crazy as dying for me.  I love you, and I want my life to be cleaned up and used for you.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment