Monday, February 7, 2011

life versus living

Matthew 19:16-30
16And someone came to Him and said, "Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?"  17And He said to him, "Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments."  ...  20The young man said to Him, "All these things I have kept; what am I still lacking?"  21Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."
Jesus wasn't preaching salvation by works.  He was talking about living the eternal life.  The New Testament makes it clear that justification from sin is made by God's grace through our faith in Jesus Christ alone.  However, just because we are saved doesn't mean we are automatically participating in the Kingdom of the Heavens.  We must love Christ and seek Him over everything else in our lives.  Of course, this is impossible in the flesh; we need Christ's life in us to accomplish righteous living which obeys the commandments.
 
Heavenly Father, thank you for Jesus - He is the only way!  Lord, thank you for eternal salvation and forgiveness from my sins against you.  Lord, please fill me with the life of Christ so that I can live the righteous life that you desire from me.  Lord, I want to love Christ so much that I will gladly give up my possessions to store up treasure in Heaven and follow Christ.  Oh, Christ, be the center of my life!  I need you, Lord, and I love you.  Please purify my heart and mind to love you and serve you only.  Holy Spirit, please annoint me with your power to be a witness for Christ today, and may I listen to your voice and obey.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment