Tuesday, February 15, 2011

the big picture and the details

Matthew 23:23-39
23 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others.
I am very thankful that my parents taught me the principle of tithing from an early age.  I think you have to develop the discipline of tithing as a child so that it will be a natural part of your finances for the rest of your life.  However, I have recently come to think that we as followers of Christ are not required to "tithe".  In fact, I think some Christians use "tithing" as a religionists way to feel like they have given enough.  As followers of Christ, I think we have to look at financial stewardship from the perspective that it all belongs to Him, and I think we should strive to continue giving a larger and larger fraction of our income to support the work of the Church.  For instance, it doesn't seem to me like the members of the early Church had a "tithing" program; they simply sold their posessions to take care of those in need.  In Matt. 23:23, the "justice, mercy, and faithfulness" quote reminds me of Isaiah 1:17 and Micah 6:8:
I 1:17 Learn to do right; seek justice.
   Defend the oppressed.
Take up the cause of the fatherless;
   plead the case of the widow.
 
M 6:8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
   And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
   and to walk humbly with your God.
 So, I think that giving should be an overflow of our desires for justice, mercy, and faithfulness.  As our hearts are united with His, then our desires will match His, and we will (super)naturally want to support the ministries that please Him.
 
Heavenly Father, your goodness and kindness are amazing.  Lord, I want to copy your goodness and show your love to others.  Lord, please don't let me get caught up in religionism, especially with finances.  Lord, I want to be a good steward and invest in your kindom.  Please help me know your will and do it.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment