Monday, February 14, 2011

religionism

Matthew 23:1-22

How tragic that so many people (especially in the US) think they are Christians, but they are really only religionists.  Jesus spoke this to the religionists of His day:

13 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.

I sure don't want to be a religionist.  I don't want to be a hypocrite.  I want to be a genuine disciple of Christ who loves God and loves people.  I thought about it a little bit, and I think they way you circumvent becoming a religionist is by really loving Jesus and enjoying life with Him.

I spoke with my Brother Mark this morning, and I asked him how you practically turn your heart to the Lord each morning.  He told me that it is important to tell the Lord that we love Him, to call on the name of Jesus, and to be honest with Him about the things that are in our hearts (e.g., confession).  We need to not only read Scripture in the morning, but we need to pray that Scripture to Him so that we can enjoy the fellowship with Him.

Heavenly Father, I love you.  Lord Jesus, I love you.  Holy Spirit, I love you.  Lord, I need you to turn my heart to you.  I want you to be the sole focus of my heart, and I want all of the anxiousness of my heart to dissolve because of your love for me and my love for you.  Lord, please use me as salt and light so that I can help lead others to know you and enjoy you.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment