Tuesday, February 22, 2011

godly sorrow

Matthew 27:1-31
 
I can't help but think about Isaiah 52-53 when I read about Jesus being falsely accused, unjustly sentenced to crucifixion, and mocked and tortured before His death.  On the one hand, I don't think it is appropriate for us to wallow in self-pity for way that Jesus bore the consequences of our sins, but at the same time, I think it is appropriate for us to have a "godly sorrow" for our sin and the price that our Savior paid for us.  He endured all of the suffering and abuse because He loves us.  I want to love Him in response to His selfless love.  I want to have a godly sorrow for my sin and the abuse that He took in my place:
 
26 So Pilate released Barabbas to them. He ordered Jesus flogged with a lead-tipped whip, then turned him over to the Roman soldiers to be crucified. 27 Some of the governor's soldiers took Jesus into their headquarters and called out the entire regiment. 28 They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him. 29 They wove thorn branches into a crown and put it on his head, and they placed a reed stick in his right hand as a scepter. Then they knelt before him in mockery and taunted, "Hail! King of the Jews!" 30 And they spit on him and grabbed the stick and struck him on the head with it. 31 When they were finally tired of mocking him, they took off the robe and put his own clothes on him again. Then they led him away to be crucified.
 
Heavenly Father, I am sorry for my sin.  I want to live a lifestlye of repentance.  I want to know Christ and experience total forgiveness and the joy of a clean heart.  I want to walk in your presence with thankfulness and love for what Christ has done.  I want to love you and serve you.  I want to be holy as you are holy. I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment