Friday, January 13, 2017

Baptized to baptize

I believe that when Jesus was baptized, He fulfilled the OT type of baptism in that He was submitting His entire identity to His Father.  And immediately, the Father endorsed the Sonship of Christ.  Of course, in our experience, there is also repentance, but I think a significant aspect of our water baptism is stepping into the identity of being a son of God.  Like a cucumber becoming a pickle.  And as a disciple of Jesus, your baptism is a commissioning to make disciples and baptize them. 

It also occurs to me that Jesus was simultaneously baptized in water and baptized in the Holy Spirit. John the Baptist prophesied that He would baptize with the Holy Spirit and fire.  And after Pentecost, the disciples baptized others in the Holy Spirit. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for the privilege of being a son and sharing your ministry.  Holy Spirit, thank you for your presence and anointing.  Lord, please grow me in making disciples, baptizing them in water and the Spirit.  I love you, and I ask in the name of Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment