Thursday, January 12, 2017

Promise of baptism of the Holy Spirit

It is interesting to me that all three of the synoptic Gospels quote John the Baptist's preaching that Jesus would baptize people with the Holy Spirit (and fire):

Matthew 3:11 NIV
"I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."

Mark 1:7‭-‬8 NIV
And this was his message: "After me comes the one more powerful than I, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit."

Luke 3:16 NIV
John answered them all, "I baptize you with water. But one who is more powerful than I will come, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Similarly, the Apostle John records the same truth as a confirmation when John the Baptist baptized Jesus:

John 1:32‭-‬34 NIV
Then John gave this testimony: "I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. And I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.' I have seen and I testify that this is Godʼs Chosen One."

This is such a fundamental truth that is recorded near the beginning of all four Gospel accounts.  But the initial fulfillment was about three years later at Pentecost (after Jesus ascended).  Yet another example of waiting in faith for the fulfillment of one of His promises.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the promise of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Lord Jesus, thank you for fulfilling your promise in the Apostles at Pentecost, in the early disciples in the following years, and in me last year.  Holy Spirit, I want to live a life immersed in you.  Dunk me every day in your love and power.  I love you, and I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment