Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Jesus said, "I will. Be cleansed."

Matt 8:2-3 YLT (also Mark 1:40-42 and Luke 5:12-13)
and lo, a leper having come, was bowing to him, saying, `Sir, if thou art willing, thou art able to cleanse me;' and having stretched forth the hand, Jesus touched him, saying, `I will, be thou cleansed,' and immediately his leprosy was cleansed.

Θέλω.  Most translations have "I am willing," which is similar, but technically the best translation is, "I will." I know that God is able to heal.  Of course He can.  I have wrestled with whether or not He wants to heal.  If Jesus is an accurate representation of the Father (which Jesus claimed to be), then we see here that God wants to heal.  The Greek verb parsing is present indicative active, which implies that there are no contingencies.  He desires to heal.  Period.

καθαρίσθητι.  Jesus didn't pray a long, elaborate prayer.  Nor did He ask God to heal the man.  Jesus simply commanded the man to be cleansed, and from what I've read, the Greek aorist imperative verb conjugation implies completion.  

Heavenly Father, I want to walk in the footsteps of Jesus. Please continue to lead me. I love you, and I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment