Thursday, October 4, 2007

bumper bowling

 
I love Proverbs!  I especially enjoy the first few chapters because they explain a lot of the dynamic relationship between God and a growing Christian. 
 4 My father taught me,
   "Take my words to heart.
      Follow my commands, and you will live.
 5 Get wisdom; develop good judgment.
      Don't forget my words or turn away from them.
 6 Don't turn your back on wisdom, for she will protect you.
      Love her, and she will guard you.
  7 Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!
      And whatever else you do, develop good judgment. ...
 11 I will teach you wisdom's ways
      and lead you in straight paths.
 12 When you walk, you won't be held back;
      when you run, you won't stumble.
...
 18 The way of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn,
      which shines ever brighter until the full light of day. ...
 25 Look straight ahead,
      and fix your eyes on what lies before you.
 26 Mark out a straight path for your feet;
      stay on the safe path.
 27 Don't get sidetracked;
      keep your feet from following evil.
It's like bumper bowling.  You chunk the ball down the lane, and sure enough, it successfully knocks over some pins.  We can have confidence that when we throw ourselves into the Lord's control, he guides us into alignment with His will.  But it's even better than bumper bowling - it's like Global Positioning System (GPS) guided bumper bowling!  Not only does God give us firm boundaries (like the side bumpers), but He's also changing our motivations to pursue Him and allow His Spirit to take control of our velocity vector (speed and direction control from GPS)!
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you so much for your promises of an abundant life in You!  Lord, I praise you for your magnificent plan!  Thank you for choosing me to be a part of your good work, I am humbled by your mercy and grace.  Father, I pray that you will pour into me your Spirit of Wisdom, and that you will guide my thoughts, actions, and even my motives.  Lord, I thank you that when I wait for your plan, You give me strength to continue the pursuit.  Lord, take control of me!  Cleanse me from my wickedness and fill my spirit, soul, and body with your Spirit.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment