Monday, October 29, 2007

spiritual gifts

 
The section of 1 Corinthians 13 about "love" is often quoted at weddings, and rightly so, but the question I pondered today is, "Is this characteristic of my behavior all the time?"  Sadly, I must confess, no, though it clearly should be.  As the Scripture states in 1 John 4:
7 Dear friends, let us continue to love one another, for love comes from God. Anyone who loves is a child of God and knows God. 8 But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love.  9 God showed how much he loved us by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. 10 This is real love—not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God loved us that much, we surely ought to love each other. 12 No one has ever seen God. But if we love each other, God lives in us, and his love is brought to full expression in us.
In this context, whatever spiritual gifts the Lord has given each of us, we must use them in such a way that they benefit the whole body of Christ (and even unbelievers) such that it can be said of us that:
4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5 or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. 6 It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. 7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.
In my personal application, I feel like the Lord is growing in me the desire to teach in Sunday School.  I've had the opportunity to substitute teach a couple of times, and I've really enjoyed it.  Of course, enjoying it is not a confirmation that it is what the Lord is leading me to do, but I feel like it has been confirmed through the comments of Believers that I trust.  Furthermore, inasmuch as it is possible, I must remember in the exercise of the spiritual gifts the Holy Spirit has given me that the objective is to love each other and demonstrate that God lives in us, and observe His love brought to full expression in us.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word that teaches us about right living, and thank you for the ever-present help of the Holy Spirit who guides us into all Truth.  Thank you for giving me spiritual gifts to be used in the Body of Christ for your glory.  I pray that you will reveal these gifts to me and show me how to contribute to the body.  I pray that you will work through me, purifying me and other Believers so that we may experience your love - your perfect love that casts out all fear.  Lord, may I have a joyful day in Christ today, and may the light of your perfect infinitude shine through my heart and life.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment