Thursday, October 25, 2007

millenium goals

 
Matthew records Jesus's explanation of eschatology in Matthew 24-25.  There are a few subtle but significant details that I've recently come to appreciate.  In 24:15, Jesus mentions the egregious act of the Antichrist - "the abomination of desolation."  Jesus then describes three parables regarding the Millennium Reign in 24:45-51 (two servants), 25:1-13 (ten bridesmaids), and 25:14-30 (five, two, and one talents).  These three parables are distinctly different from the parable of the Final Judgement in 25:31-46 (sheep and goats).  In the Millennium parables, there are two consequences - 1) rewards, celebration, and fellowship for the wise, sensible, and diligent, but 2) "outer darkness" and "weeping and gnashing of teeth" for the slackers; whereas, in the Final Judgement parable, the consequences are 1) eternal life for the righteous, but 2) eternal punishment and fire for the wicked.
 
Paul basically details the significance of sanctification in light of the Millennium in 1 Corinthians 3-4, and this explains why Paul reprimanded the Corinthian congregation so strongly in chapters 5 and 6 (especially for sexual sin).  The person who has faith in Jesus for salvation has indeed been justified and will spend eternity in Heaven, but our behaviour in this life determines how we spend the Millennium.
 
point of application - I better get my head screwed on straight and get with the program, because there is a wonderful promise of celebration with Christ in the Millennium for the faithful, but there will be a thousand years of consequences for the remedial Christians who missed their opportunity in this life.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word of Truth that gives me Light to obey you.  Lord, I pray that you will help me walk with the Spirit and crucify my sinful nature every day.  Lord, please use me to lead others to a closer walk of discipleship with you, and may my life of obedience honor and glorify your name.  May I experience the joy and peace of your presence in my life.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ, my Redeemer and Lord.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment