Wednesday, October 3, 2007

healing?

 
Acts 5:15-16
15As a result, people brought the sick into the streets and laid them on beds and mats so that at least Peter's shadow might fall on some of them as he passed by. 16Crowds gathered also from the towns around Jerusalem, bringing their sick and those tormented by evil spirits, and all of them were healed.
 
Acts 6:8
8Now Stephen, a man full of God's grace and power, did great wonders and miraculous signs among the people.
 
First of all, that's just flat crazy about Peter's shadow!  But here's my question, were these types of healings reserved only for the twelve apostles and Paul?  No, because Stephen (not an apostle) is observed to have the outpouring of God's power in the form of miracles.  So, then, why don't we see miraculous healings like these in our current day?  I think it's because of lack of faith.
 
Hence, my question of personal application today is, does God desire to use me to perform miracles (of healing) if I had enough faith?  Let's suppose that I know someone who is sick.  Should I just walk up to them and pronounce them healed in the name of Jesus?  What if nothing happens?  How do I know if God wants someone healed in the first place?
 
Anyway, here's something substantial (Acts 5:29-32, 41-42):
29Peter and the other apostles replied: "We must obey God rather than men! 30The God of our fathers raised Jesus from the dead—whom you had killed by hanging him on a tree. 31God exalted him to his own right hand as Prince and Savior that he might give repentance and forgiveness of sins to Israel. 32We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him." ... 41The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name. 42Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Christ.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I praise you for the solid Truth that you are.  I praise you for being eternal and never changing.  Thank you for showing me mercy and grace.  Lord, I pray that you will lead me to a fuller understanding of the spiritual gifts you've given me and use me beyond my full potential so that you receive all the glory.  Lord, I pray that you will do miracles in our midst; I pray that you will increase our faith so that your Spirit is free to move in power.  Lord, I pray that I will never stop sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ and that I will rejoice when you allow me to experience suffering for the Name of Christ.  It is in His powerful Name that I pray.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. "Hence, my question of personal application today is, does God desire to use me to perform miracles (of healing) if I had enough faith? Let's suppose that I know someone who is sick. Should I just walk up to them and pronounce them healed in the name of Jesus? What if nothing happens? How do I know if God wants someone healed in the first place?"

    I would ask the question of, "What was the purpose of these healings, and the miracles Jesus did?" Pastor eluded to Jesus' miracles in one sense a few Sundays ago when he said that Jesus was trying to fulfill the Old Testament. I also believe that it was to show that He was the Messiah, and that people would believe on Him, 9 times out of 10. Sometimes He did things to show His love (compassion) for them.
    But the sole purpose of Christ giving believer's "all authority" in His name is simple: "To draw all men unto Him." (Matt. 28:18-20; Acts 1:8). If you look at all the healings and miracles in the Bible, it was for the sole purpose of challenging people in their belief about who Jesus (or Elohim, if in the Old Testament) was, and is; and bring them to a decision of what they are going to do with his love.
    I think we don't see the miracles and healings today like we did with Christ and the apostles for several reasons.
    1. We simply (as Christians) really don't believe it is possible. (I do think miracles do occur today, because I've witnessed them.)
    2. We don't know God's love ourselves, well enough to display God's love to others in this manner.
    3. I also believe that our culture, and even believers, would follow after the miracles, healings, etc; and not the source of these things. Jesus warned us not to follow after signs and wonders because false Christs and prophets will do the same (Matt. 24:24; Mark 13:22; II Thess. 2:7-12). Could it be that we don't see as much in this day because the day of the Lord draws nigh, paving the way for the Great Deceiver to deceive?
    4. Too many people want to see signs to believe (John 4:47-48). And that is reference to what you said about not having faith. Because faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen.

    ReplyDelete