Wednesday, October 31, 2007

wife

 
I was really impressed by Proverbs 31 this morning.  As I was reading it to my wife, I noticed that there is only one mention of the physical perspective:
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last;
      but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised.
Besides that half of a verse, the remainder of the "Wife of Noble Character" section is consistent with the second half of verse 30 - it's all focused on her spiritual or social responsibilities.  This only reinforces the truth that this world obsesses about physical attraction.  Of course, I am sincerely grateful that my wife is soooo beautiful. ;)  I mean, it's rare enough to have a godly wife, but for her to be beautiful on top of that - WOW!
 
Here's a sampling of verses that remind me of my wife:
10 Who can find a virtuous and capable wife?
      She is more precious than rubies.
11 Her husband can trust her,
      and she will greatly enrich his life.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
      all the days of her life. ...
17 She is energetic and strong,
      a hard worker.
18 She makes sure her dealings are profitable;
      her lamp burns late into the night. ...
20 She extends a helping hand to the poor
      and opens her arms to the needy. ...
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity,
      and she laughs without fear of the future.
26 When she speaks, her words are wise,
      and she gives instructions with kindness.
27 She carefully watches everything in her household
      and suffers nothing from laziness. ...
28 ... Her husband praises her:
29 "There are many virtuous and capable women in the world,
      but you surpass them all!"
The Lord has blessed me with a godly and dedicated wife!  She brings me joy, and I want to honor her and love her as Christ loves the Church!
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for blessing me beyond measure with my godly and beautiful wife.  Lord, I pray that you will grow my love for her and that I will behave towards her like Christ behaves toward the church.  Lord, please bless her and continue to grow her more into this Proverbs 31 woman and more into the image of Christ.  I pray that I will not take her for granted and that you will forgive me where I've failed her.  Lord, please bless our marriage, and may we always be centered on the Cross of Calvary.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment