Tuesday, October 9, 2007

following the Lord

 
Thessalonica > Berea > Athens > Corinth
 
I'm amazed at how God led Paul and his band of evangelists/disciplers from place to place, both implicitly and explicitly,.  Sometimes they left because they would get killed if they stayed (implicit), while other times they went somewhere because God "told them to" (explicit).
 
I wonder if God works the same in my life today.  While I don't recall a direct audible voice from God about anything (nor has my life been threatened, for that matter), I do think He guides us (my wife and me) explicitly and implicitly.  There are many imperatives in scripture that guide us explicitly because the Bible is His spoken Word, His very breath.  Also, He orchestrates events in our lives such that other people, situations, and events point us in the direction He wants us to go.
 
For instance, I believe that God gave me an interest in desalination in high school.  I was guided through my high school counselor and a member of our church to major in civil engineering in undergrad.  During my course of study, I married my wife (my high school sweetheart), and I grew interested in the water resources aspect of civil engineering.  Several professors (one godly mentor in particular) encouraged me to pursue graduate school.  In one of the courses I took in the Master's program, I became aware of the global deficiencies in water quality and quantity.  God arranged it so that just as I was finishing the Master's degree, He provided funding for me to switch gears and study desalination technology - an interest/dream from high school.  In parallel with my development, my wife switched gears from her management education in undergraduate, and is now a teacher and almost finished with her Master's degree in education. 
 
It's like the GPS bumper bowling analogy I described recently.  He has a plan for us; He has a goal for us.  He is moving and guiding us toward that goal.  My wife and I feel like He is calling us to serve Him with our lives.  Now, that could happen in any number of ways, but we are confident that He is "equipping the called."  We must trust that He will guide us, as He has already proven Himself in so many ways.  His ways are above our ways, and His thoughts are above our thoughts.  We will cling to Proverbs 3:5-6.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word that gives us objective truth.  Thank you for intervening in my life and leading me.  I praise you that you are omnipresent, so that I know you are always with me.  Thank you for giving your Holy Spirit to guide me.  Lord, may I follow you as Paul and his compatriots obeyed your leading.  Please help me to be bold and faithful in sharing the Gospel of Christ Jesus with those around me as you tow me through life, in accordance with your good plan.  I praise you and thank you.  I pray that you will glorify yourself, in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment