Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Elisha's miracles

 
There are three great miracles in this morning's reading.
 
First, a Gentile man comes to Elisha asking him to cure his leprosy.  Elisha tells him to wash in the water seven times.  I think it is a picture of faith, baptism, and obedience, justification, and sanctification.  Faith and baptism come first, but the seven fold repetition is symbolic of complete purification through the process of sanctification.
 
Second, some of Elisha's students were chopping down some wood to build a structure when an axhead went flying into the Jordan river.  Elisha threw a stick out on the water, the iron axhead floated, and the student picked it up off the top of the water.  I heard a pastor interpret it this way:  the stick represents the Cross of Christ which is miraculously able to save that which was lost.
 
Third, the king of Aram was attacking Israel, but the prophet Elijah was telling the king of Israel all of his military tactics, so the king of Aram decided to capture Elisha. 
15 When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. "Oh, my lord, what shall we do?" the servant asked. 16 "Don't be afraid," the prophet answered. "Those who are with us are more than those who are with them."  17 And Elisha prayed, "O LORD, open his eyes so he may see." Then the LORD opened the servant's eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.
 
Application:  I can walk in confidence knowing that Christ has paid my ransom and saved me from eternal destruction.  He is leading me through the purification process of sanctification to wash me clean of all my sinfulness.  Furthermore, He is with me every step of the way, and I know that His forces are protecting me from the enemy.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for saving me by the miracle of Christ's death on the cross.  Thank you for promising to cleanse me and make me holy as you are holy.  Lord, please help me walk with you knowing that your forces are guarding my obedience to you.  May I remain faithful to you today.  I pray that you will bless me with the presence of your Spirit.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment