Tuesday, June 17, 2008

repentance

 
Ahab was a wicked king (and married to an extremely wicked queen).  Yet, God is so incredibly merciful.  God spoke judgement on the house of Ahab through the prophet Elijah.
21:25 (There was never a man like Ahab, who sold himself to do evil in the eyes of the LORD, urged on by Jezebel his wife. 26 He behaved in the vilest manner by going after idols, like the Amorites the LORD drove out before Israel.) 
 27 When Ahab heard these words, he tore his clothes, put on sackcloth and fasted. He lay in sackcloth and went around meekly.
 28 Then the word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite: 29 "Have you noticed how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has humbled himself, I will not bring this disaster in his day, but I will bring it on his house in the days of his son."
  1. judgement
  2. repentance
  3. mercy
Just like that.  The point that Ronnie made in our Bible study Sunday morning was that we are all sinners under judgement, and we receive grace and mercy by faith in Jesus Christ.  God's Word (as well as His character) is true and unchanging.  He is patient and kind, desiring that we will repent.
 
The challenge is to repent immediately upon every single sin.  Of course this is impossible because our natural self desires to sin, but the Holy Spirit reveals our mistakes and leads us to crucify the flesh.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I praise you that you are a God of mercy.  You are holy and just, and you are always fair in your decisions.  Yet, you are loving and kind, and you have made a way through the perfect shed blood of Jesus Christ.  I pray that you will lead me to repentance every time I grieve you.  Holy Spirit, I pray that you will soften my heart and mind to listen and obey.  I pray that my actions and attitudes will glorify you and that I will repent when they don't.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment