Monday, June 2, 2008

pure heart

 
Yesterday we studied Isaiah 6 in our Bible Life, and the main point that I walked away with was how infinitely Holy God is and how I am not holy.  He desires that I should be Holy, and He guarantees that at some point I will be made Holy.  The goal is for me to become Holy as He is Holy.  So, there were a few verses in today's reading that reverberated this theme:
19:21 Many are the plans in a man's heart,
       but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.
    23 The fear of the LORD leads to life:
       Then one rests content, untouched by trouble.
20:5 The purposes of a man's heart are deep waters,
       but a man of understanding draws them out.
    7 The righteous man leads a blameless life;
       blessed are his children after him.
    9 Who can say, "I have kept my heart pure;
       I am clean and without sin"?
    24 A man's steps are directed by the LORD.
       How then can anyone understand his own way?
    27 The lamp of the LORD searches the spirit of a man;
       it searches out his inmost being.
21:1 The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD;
       he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases.
    2 All a man's ways seem right to him,
       but the LORD weighs the heart.
    3 To do what is right and just
       is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.
I really want to work with God on my attitude.  I want to consciously be striving for holiness in my thoughts and desires.  Two of my previous scripture memory verses are:
2 Corinthians 3:18 And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
Philippians 2:14 Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe 16as you hold out the word of life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I praise you for being infinitely holy.  You are perfect and right and just.  Thank you for revealing yourself to me.  I pray that you will show me who I am so that I can repent and change more into your likeness of purity.  I pray that you will show me how my thoughts and attitudes need to change, and I pray that you will give me the mind and love of Christ so that you will be pleased with me.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment