Wednesday, June 4, 2008

glory and humility

25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; 
      to search out a matter is the glory of kings.
God has certainly concealed a matter or two; the fact that we can't look far enough into the heaven's or small enough within an atom shows how much He has concealed.  To God be the glory!  His creativity is beyond measure.
 
That doesn't stop me from enjoying figuring stuff out that He created.  In fact, I see myself (as the researching graduate student that I am) as an investigator of God's creativity.  How can enjoy discovering the way God has designed this universe, and how can I help people along the way?
25:6 Do not exalt yourself in the king's presence,
       and do not claim a place among great men;
 7 it is better for him to say to you, "Come up here,"
       than for him to humiliate you before a nobleman.
 27 It is not good to eat too much honey,
       nor is it honorable to seek one's own honor.
27:2 Let another praise you, and not your own mouth;
       someone else, and not your own lips.
 21 The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold,
       but man is tested by the praise he receives.
 
Pride usually sneaks up on you.  I need to make sure that everything I say is humble.  I also need to develop a strategy for redirecting praise from people to God without it sounding cliche.  For instance, when someone gives me a compliment, I could simply say, "Hallelujah!", which means, "Praise Yahweh!", but not everyone knows Hebrew, and it might freak some people out.  Alternatively, I could simply say, "Praise God!", but that phrase has been abused, so you don't know if people really mean it or not.  I suppose I could say something more involved, such as, "Well, God has blessed me with this opportunity to ..."
 
By the way, Solomon was also a chemist:
25:20 Like one who takes away a garment on a cold day,
       or like vinegar poured on soda,
       is one who sings songs to a heavy heart.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I praise you for your infinite creativity!  Thank you for the opportunity to discover the universe you created.  I pray that you will use me to discover useful things that can help people around the world.  Lord, please humble me.  I confess that my pride hinders my relationship with you.  I pray, Father, that you will draw me close to you and let me see how small I am and how great you are so that I will live humbly.  Lord, please help me appropriately redirect all praise to you.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment