Wednesday, August 13, 2008

fundamentals (continued)

Ezekiel 14-16

While the majority of these passages is severe judgment, it is critical to see why God judged the Israelites the way He did.  Though we have brought upon ourselves the consequence of death, He speaks life into us according to His Covenant of Grace!

14:5 I will do this to recapture the hearts of the people of Israel, who have all deserted me for their idols. ... 8 ... Then you will know that I am the LORD. ... 11 Then the people of Israel will no longer stray from me, nor will they defile themselves anymore with all their sins. They will be my people, and I will be their God, declares the Sovereign LORD.

15:7 ... And when I set my face against them, you will know that I am the LORD.

16:6 " 'Then I passed by and saw you kicking about in your blood, and as you lay there in your blood I said to you, "Live!" ... 8 ... I gave you my solemn oath and entered into a covenant with you, declares the Sovereign LORD, and you became mine. ... 59 " 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I will deal with you as you deserve, because you have despised my oath by breaking the covenant. 60 Yet I will remember the covenant I made with you in the days of your youth, and I will establish an everlasting covenant with you. 6162 So I will establish my covenant with you, and you will know that I am the LORD. 63 Then, when I make atonement for you for all you have done, you will remember and be ashamed and never again open your mouth because of your humiliation, declares the Sovereign LORD.' " Then you will remember your ways and be ashamed when you receive your sisters, both those who are older than you and those who are younger. I will give them to you as daughters, but not on the basis of my covenant with you.

On a sad note, I find a tragic parallel between our modern United States culture and the culture of Sodom that God destroyed:

16:49 " 'Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. 50 They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.

Ouch!  Arrogance, obesity, apathy, selfishness, audaciousness, and lewdness.  I don' t think those characteristics are true of the entire population, but they certainly are true for a large fraction. For proof, simply turn on the television.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for giving us a Covenant of Grace in spite of what we deserve.  Lord, may I live in constant awe of your grace and mercy.  I pray that I will be humble, disciplined, concerned, actively compassionate, meek, and pure before you so that I can grow closer to you.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment