Tuesday, August 19, 2008

judgment and mercy

Jeremiah 34; 2 Kings 25; 2 Chronicles 36:15-21; Jeremiah 39

God is so patient with us.  It is especially tragic when He gives us one opportunity after another to repent and turn to Him, and we stubbornly continue on our own way.  After some time of patience, God demonstrates His character of justice by allowing us to experience the consequences of our sin.

2 C 36:15 The LORD, the God of their fathers, sent word to them through his messengers again and again, because he had pity on his people and on his dwelling place. 16 But they mocked God's messengers, despised his words and scoffed at his prophets until the wrath of the LORD was aroused against his people and there was no remedy.

However, even in the midst of judgment, God is merciful.  He loves us and cares about us, and when we turn our hearts toward Him in faith, He shows us mercy.

J 39:17 But I will rescue you on that day, declares the LORD; you will not be handed over to those you fear. 18 I will save you; you will not fall by the sword but will escape with your life, because you trust in me, declares the LORD.' "

Prayer
Heavenly Father, you are so amazing that you can be both just and merciful at the same time.  Your character is Holy.  Lord, I turn my heart toward you, and I ask you to show me mercy.  Please save me from destruction, and guide me in paths of righteousness for your namesake.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment