Wednesday, August 27, 2008

good shepherd

Ezekiel 34-36

Yahweh says He will be the shepherd, and then Jesus says He is the shepherd.  Hmmm.....

Ez 34:15 "I myself will tend my sheep and have them lie down, declares the Sovereign LORD. 16 I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy. I will shepherd the flock with justice. ... 30 Then they will know that I, the LORD their God, am with them and that they, the house of Israel, are my people, declares the Sovereign LORD. 31 You my sheep, the sheep of my pasture, are people, and I am your God, declares the Sovereign LORD."

John 10:7Therefore Jesus said again, "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. 8All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. 10The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.  11"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

What is God's motivation for doing stuff?

Ez 35:22 "Therefore say to the house of Israel, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: It is not for your sake, O house of Israel, that I am going to do these things, but for the sake of my holy name, which you have profaned among the nations where you have gone. 23 I will show the holiness of my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, the name you have profaned among them. Then the nations will know that I am the LORD, declares the Sovereign LORD, when I show myself holy through you before their eyes.

And how does He do that?

24 " 'For I will take you out of the nations; I will gather you from all the countries and bring you back into your own land. 25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. 28 You will live in the land I gave your forefathers; you will be my people, and I will be your God.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I praise you for being the good shepherd and taking care of your sheep.  Thank you for sending Jesus Christ who is the Good Shepherd and demonstrated that by laying His life down for us.  Lord, I pray that I will not profane your name, but I pray that you will use my life to glorify your name.  Lord, please help me be humble.  Please sprinkle clean water on my mind, and give me a heart transplant to seek you and love you with all that I am.  I love you, Lord; you are my God.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment