Friday, August 22, 2008

because of His love

Lamentations 3-4

My wife and I went to a Natalie Grant concert, and I left with two strong conclusions.  First, I need to live every day to change the world, acknowledging that we change the world incrementally.  It starts with turning my heart toward God and pursuing him.  Then it extends to my wife; I need to be more focused and engaged about following the Biblical model  of spiritually leading my wife.  The second point was that we are so stinking materialistic in this society - it's gross!  We are so comfortable, and there are a lot of people in the world who are literally starving and thirsting to death.  Check out these kids from Haiti; they need some help, and my wife and I are going to help support them: http://www.hfhcministries.org/theneed.htm

I never really thought about what Jeremiah was lamenting.  He was lamenting the sad state of affairs that the nation of Israel (and the city of Jerusalem, in particular) came to because of their rebellion against Yahweh.  This is a severe reminder that Yahweh is just, He will not be mocked, and the consequence of sin is death.  Tragically, the nation of Israel did not seek God, so He used progressively more and more severe consequences to regain their single-minded focus.

However, compressed inside this lament of God's judgment is the recognition that God is gracious - He is gracious by allowing us to live (biologically) until He changes our heart through repentance and faith so that we may truly live (spiritually).

3:22 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
       for his compassions never fail.

 23 They are new every morning;
       great is your faithfulness.

 24 I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion;
       therefore I will wait for him."

 25 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him,
       to the one who seeks him;

 26 it is good to wait quietly
       for the salvation of the LORD. ...

 55 I called on your name, O LORD,
       from the depths of the pit.

 56 You heard my plea: "Do not close your ears
       to my cry for relief."

 57 You came near when I called you,
       and you said, "Do not fear."

 58 O Lord, you took up my case;
       you redeemed my life.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for your grace; please don't let me take your grace for granted.  Lord, I pray that I will live "in view of your mercy" today and offer my body as a living sacrifice.  Lord, I am a sinner, and I need you to save me - every day.  Please teach me to call on your name, and I know that you will rescue me and redeem my life.  I ask you to fill me with your Spirit and allow me to walk according to your word.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment