Tuesday, August 26, 2008

hubris

Ezekiel 27-28, 33:21-33

I was particularly intrigued with 28:11-19 for its literal application to the king and kingdom of Tyre, for its figurative application to Satan and the demons, for its figurative application to the fall of Adam and Eve, and for its figurative application to me.  The word "hubris" comes to mind - "overbearing pride; gratuitous insolence". (My friend Eric taught me this word.)

The application point I find is this: we must be vigilant against pride because it is so subtle.  We slip from being "blessed" to being "hubristic" in a heartbeat, and we all know the consequences of pride - separation from God.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, as Satan slipped from "blessed" to hubristic and was cast from your presence, so we humans have gulped down this same pride.  Father, please forgive me for my proud heart.  Nothing exists apart from you, you are the Creator, you are the giver of life, you are the provider for everything I have, and you created me with all of the gifts and talents I have.  Lord, please help me honor you with my time and my talents, not only in the way that I use them, but in the attitude of my heart as I use them for your Glory.  God, would you please do a work on my heart and teach me how to humble myself before you.  Lord, I confess that I am a proud man, and I need you to save me from myself.  May I come into your presence in true humility, and may I live my life in constant humble recognition of your presence.  Please guide me to true humility.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ, who was so humble to leave Heaven, become human, and hang on a tree for my sin and the sin of all of humanity.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Verse 19 is reflective of what I remind Satan of when he bothers me with something. I usually do this when he tries to fill my heart with condemnation of my past; or when I struggle with a temptation; and don't measure up. I remind him of his future.

    verse 19, "All the nations who knew you are appalled at you; you have come to a horrible end and will be no more."

    ReplyDelete