Friday, August 1, 2008

obey the Lord

Jeremiah 7:1-8:3; 11:1-17; 15:10-21; 22:18-23; 35:1-19

7:3 This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Reform your ways and your actions, and I will let you live in this place. ... 5 If you really change your ways and your actions and deal with each other justly, 6 if you do not oppress the alien, the fatherless or the widow and do not shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not follow other gods to your own harm, 7 then I will let you live in this place, in the land I gave your forefathers for ever and ever. ... 23 ... Obey me, and I will be your God and you will be my people. Walk in all the ways I command you, that it may go well with you.

15:16 When your words came, I ate them;
       they were my joy and my heart's delight,
       for I bear your name,
       O LORD God Almighty.

35:18 Then Jeremiah said to the family of the Recabites, "This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: 'You have obeyed the command of your forefather Jonadab and have followed all his instructions and have done everything he ordered.' 19 Therefore, this is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: 'Jonadab son of Recab will never fail to have a man to serve me.' "

The blessing of obedience is not necessarily physical.  The principle blessing of obedience is closeness with Yahweh - to know Him and love Him and to leave a legacy influencing others to know and obey Him.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for your grace that leads me to desire you and gives me the ability to obey you.  Lead me on, and I will run after you.  May you permeate my existence, influence others to know you and obey you, and advance your Kingdom among the nations, all for the glory of your holy name, Yahweh.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment