Thursday, July 30, 2009

healer and judge

Mark 2, Romans 2

Too many times, I forget to keep in mind this question as I read the Scriptures:  "What is God revealing about Himself through this passage?"

Jesus Christ has authority to forgive sins because He is God:

M 2:9 Is it easier to say to the paralyzed man 'Your sins are forgiven,' or 'Stand up, pick up your mat, and walk'? 10 So I will prove to you that the Son of Man has the authority on earth to forgive sins." Then Jesus turned to the paralyzed man and said, 11 "Stand up, pick up your mat, and go home!"

Jesus Christ is the Good Doctor, and He heals those who come to Him humbly:

M 2:17 When Jesus heard this, he told them, "Healthy people don't need a doctor—sick people do. I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners."

Jesus Christ is the final Judge:

R 2:16 And this is the message I proclaim—that the day is coming when God, through Christ Jesus, will judge everyone's secret life.
R 2:7 He will give eternal life to those who keep on doing good, seeking after the glory and honor and immortality that God offers. 8
But he will pour out his anger and wrath on those who live for themselves, who refuse to obey the truth and instead live lives of wickedness.

It is interesting to me that it does NOT say that He will give eternal life to those who have "accepted Christ."  It says that He will give eternal life to those who live by faith in Jesus Christ and persist in doing good.  I did a little word search in several English translations, and the only verses that had the words "accept(ed)" and "Jesus/Christ" were about God accepting us because of Jesus, NOT us accepting Jesus.  I think some evangelicals have overemphasized the point of justification by faith that we have lost sight of sanctification that is proven by the perseverance of faith.

Heavenly Father, please forgive me for my warped perspective of you and your Word.  Lord, please continue to reveal yourself to me so that I may live rightly.  Lord, thank you for forgiving me and healing me through the person of Christ.  Lord, I want my life to please you so that on the day of judgment, you will be blessed by my life.  Please help me walk in the presence and power of the Holy Spirit so that I will be an overcomer.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment