Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Messiah

Matthew 21, Acts 21

As Jesus rode into Jerusalem in the middle of the Triumphal Entry, I think a lot of people suspected Him of being the Messiah.  But they thought that the Messiah was going to overthrow the Roman occupation and restore the political sovereignty of Israel.  Actually, Jesus came to overthrow the occupation of Sin and Death, and by His own Death, restore fellowship between God and man.

I imagine it happened something like this: the procession was headed down the main street through Jerusalem, and as they rounded the corner next to the local tax office, the crowd was certain that Jesus was going to kick out the tax collectors.  But surprisingly, He didn't.  "OK, but only a two blocks down is the Roman army headquarters; Jesus will probably start there, right?  Well, no; I guess not.  Wait, I think Jesus is headed up to the Temple.  Oh, I get it.  He is going to have a freedom pep-rally for all of the Israelites at the temple, and then we will all bust out of there and tell the Romans to get lost! ... What is He doing?! Why is Jesus starting a riot INSIDE the Temple?!

Jesus did two distinct things when He got to the Temple.  First, He threw out the merchants and money changers.  Second, He healed the blind and the lame.  He removed false religion and implemented true religion in the house of worship.   As I consider the New Testament significance of my body as the Temple, I am challenged to consider how the Lord wants to remove false religion from within me, and how He wants to restore my ability to see Him and walk with Him.

Heavenly Father, please forgive me for my false religion and for situations where I reject the authority of Christ.  Lord, please help me see Jesus as the Messiah in every aspect of my life.  Jesus, please give me eyes to see you and show yourself to me.  Please give me strength and guidance to walk with you.  Lord Jesus, I love you, and I want to worship you.  May you be glorified among the nations, and may I have opportunity to share your love today.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment